What’s Cooking in February
I was asked to participate in the ninth annual Laurel Street Lollapalooza this past January. The Mardi Gras-themed “Fête des Artistes” celebrates Baton Rouge art with “live music, a silent auction and great food from some of Baton Rouge’s finest culinary artists. This event raises funds for the Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge which promotes everything art in our area. We were planning on serving salmon terrine which is one of our signature cold dishes but the recent cold snap prompted me to create a warm soup using smoked salmon. And with the temperature dipping to 27 degrees my newest soup, Smoked Salmon Bisque, was a huge hit. And the next thing I knew the crowd broke out into a flash mob with dancing in the street. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjm–PZJ20.
Try the recipe below and if you don’t want to make the soup stop by Mid City Market and get some from our freezer.
Smoked Salmon Bisque
- 8 ounces butter (2 sticks)
- 1 ½ cups chopped seasonings (onions, celery & bell pepper)
- 2 tbs. garlic, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- 2 tbs. parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, black, cayenne & white pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. chicken base
- 2 tsp. lobster base
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 1 tbs. Fresh dill
- Optional garnishes of capers, eggs & purple onions
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat butter over medium high heat.
- Stir in chopped seasonings and garlic.
- Cook until wilted, reduce heat and stir in flour.
- Cook five minutes stirring often.
- Add water/stock mixing well.
- Bring to a low simmer and add parsley, salt, peppers and bases.
- Stir well and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and bring to a simmer again.
- Fold in smoked salmon, dill and green onions.
- Cook five additional minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Recipe of Chef Don Bergeron
Chef Don Bergeron Enterprises
Mid City Market
8200 Jefferson Highway
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Phone: (225) 927-3998
Fax: (866) 328-2892
8200 Jefferson Hwy ⋅ Baton Rouge, LA 70809 ⋅ Phone: (225) 927-3998